Wednesday, February 4, 2009

New Favorite

A couple weekends ago, we celebrated my grandma's 86th birthday. At the party my aunt and uncle brought this amazing chicken salad. They so graciously gave me the recipe, and it is a new favorite around here. I sent it in the girls lunch yesterday, and two of the teachers wanted the recipe so I thought I would post it...here goes:

Fruited Chicken Salad

Poach bone in chicken breasts or whole chicken very slowly in water seasoned with onions or dried minced onion, bay leaf and chicken bouillon. Do not boil water, it should just simmer. Breast should take approximately 30-40 minutes, do not overcook. The results will be chicken that is tender and almost custardy. Let chicken cool in broth, then bone it and dice it.

1 cup mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
2 T. lemon juice
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cups chicken
2 cups pasta
1 cup grapes (green, red or both)
1 cup mandarin oranges
¼1/4 –- 1/2 ½ cup dried cranberries
¼ 1/4 cup walnuts or pecans (or to taste)

Mix mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt, pepper. Mix in remaining ingredients, mix in mandarin oranges last.



I use the Barilla Plus (this pasta has extra fiber and protein, I can't tell a difference taste wise) rotini (spirals). I know it sounds weird with all the fruit and pasta, but it is so good. My aunt said they use it at a lot of showers too. Hope you enjoy!

3 comments:

Erin said...

Oh, wow. I can't wait to try this! Yum. Thanks for the new recipe!

Misty said...

Thanks! I was telling people about this the other day!

Heather said...

Ok, I made it today, and it's wonderful. Brian and I had to keep from eating the whole bowl. It's definitely a keeper recipe. Thanks for sharing it!